Below are the notes from our October 2023 meeting. We will also send out the notes summary in our November e-newsletter, which you can sign up for on our website. We do not send additional emails aside from the once-a-month summary. The option is on the main home page beneath “Subscribe for Updates” under “Get Involved” or you can fill out the form on the right hand side to “Join Our List” to receive the monthly e-newsletter.
Bexley Minority Parent Alliance (BMPA) October 2023 Community Meeting Notes
- Treasurer Report – over $1,200 in BMPA account
- New treasurer (thank you for volunteering) will be onboarded soon
- No anticipated expenses other than the Nov. speaker event that is supported by the Bexley Community Foundation
2. Past and Upcoming Community Events
- One Bexley – many positive events, including the community gathering/dinner
- Lauren Meckler spoke at the Bexley Public Library on October 8th. Thanks to Kumi Walker for facilitating
- Taste of Bexley at Capital University on October 19th
- October 31: Bexley Trick-or-Treat from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- November 7: Election Day / Bexley City Schools CLOSED
- Saturday, November 11: Daydreamers Press with Carlotta Penn from 3-5pm at the Bexley Public Library auditorium, for K-5 students: https://bexley.
- This special author event is being presented by Bexley Minority Parent Alliance and has been generously funded by the Bexley Community Author Series Fund, a program of the Bexley Public Library and the Bexley Community Foundation.
3. School Updates
- Proposal for One Bexley Project Coordinator was 10/16
- Focus around student and staff safety. Will continue to monitor and communicate with Mayor Kessler and Bexley Chief of Police. Continue to ask people to speak up if you see something.
- Busy week of sport tournaments with Tennis, Field Hockey and Soccer along with Football Friday night.
- Middle school’s theatre production Oct. 19-21, auditions for musical in February in Nov.
- School closed 11/7 for Election Day
- Polls are open 6:30am-7:30pm
- If you’re in line by 7:30pm, you are eligible to vote.
- Early voting is happening now.
- Bring ID!
- Check your voting location and ID requirements and get more information here – https://vote.franklincountyohio.gov/
- Dr. Lewis discussed the heritage documents available for classroom content and increased awareness. Information is available for Elementary and Secondary teachers that includes read-aloud and reading options.
- Recently shared the Hispanic Heritage Document and currently the LGBTQIA+ document to assist with classroom teaching to increase awareness.
- Mentorship program has not yet begun for the 2023-2024 academic year. BCSD is exploring inclusion of an after-school option and incorporating leadership skills for high school mentors. If it does occur at each of the elementary schools after school, this presents a few
challenges including transportation, a 45-minute window between end of school days as well as activity conflicts.
- In previous years, BMPA partnered with the district and the program consisted of one-on-one mentoring of high schools paired with
elementary students that met at lunch but BCSD is looking at a group model. More information to come from the district.
- BMPA Executive Committee to convene this fall and plan for 2024, including the Art Auction (slated for March 10, 2024) to fundraise for high school student scholarships, which will be awarded at the Circle of Excellence (TBD, April 2024) ceremony.