Events during this month have been disheartening and discouraging for all of us. Although progress has been made over the years, it is evident that we have a long way to go. Please reach out to us if we can help you or your family in any way.
The BMPA is here to support children, families, and district personnel affected by racism and discrimination; to advocate on their behalf with school and community leaders; and to guide policy and training decisions. We aim to foster community among families with minority children and we encourage allies to join us.
Specifically, we have five priority areas for policy and training:
- Recognizing implicit racial bias and empowering competent and compassionate engagement to address acts of racism
- Trauma-Competent Care provided to all students by all Bexley City Schools personnel
- Restorative justice disciplinary practices
- Broad curricular celebration of BBIPOC cultural contributions
- Minority teacher recruitment and retention
For anyone who was unable to attend the Bexley Board of Education (BOE) meeting on February 8, a recording is available HERE.
- Marcelius Braxton, Leader of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, presented on the Bexley City Schools District Equity Plan. Development is a collective effort by students, staff, administration, community members, and the BOE.
- BOE members, school staff and administrators, community members, and students also gave statements on the recent events that have impacted our Black students, staff, and families.
As a reminder, our February Community Meeting is Monday, February 27, at 6:30pm. It is a hybrid meeting that can be attended in person in the Tech Conference Room at the Bexley Public Library or online, using the Zoom link below.
We also want to keep you posted on these important upcoming events:
- Smile for We: Seeing Black Men in a Different Light – Damon Mosley Author Event– Feb. 23 at Bexley Public Library from 7-8pm
- School Networking & Informational Event– Feb. 26 at 3pm (virtual)
- BMPA Art Auction & Open House – Mar. 5 from 2-4pm (details below)
- Circle of Excellence Ceremony & Career Fair at the Bexley Middle School – April 23 from 4-6pm
SAVE THE DATE: BMPA Art Auction & Open House – Mar. 5, 2-4pm
View displayed artwork available for bidding at the Bexley Public Library beginning February 20. The live auction and viewing will be held at Bexley Public Library on March 5th from 2-4 p.m. and is open to all members of the community. Local artists will be present to share their work with the public. Proceeds will fund scholarships for high school seniors. Visit the virtual auction page HERE.
To learn more, or to join the email list for our monthly newsletter, please visit bexleyminorityparents.org.